Preston Tweetup – an idea
Been kicking an idea around for a bit, it happens in other towns and cities and I think it could be good for Preston, about having a ‘Tweetup’ in Preston.
What’s a ‘Tweetup’ I hear you cry. It’s a meeting of folks, arranged via Twitter/the web in a venue that has wi-fi access. Everyone who comes brings along their wireless enabled laptop/mobile phone and the event is assigned a hashtag on Twitter. So for example the hashtag would be #prestontweetup and then everyone who is talking about the event, or at the event, puts the hashtag into their tweets.
The event allows people to network, meet people face to face (in a safe environment) who they might have connected with only via Twitter and potentially to use the meeting to generate some ideas or discuss a particular topic.
I was thinking of hosting the event, as in ‘Preston Tweetup, in association with Preston Blog’, and Stage 9 Marketing have already indicated they’d be willing to support the event. Can anyone recomend a suitable venue?
I was also thinking of having a purpose to the night (other than just getting lots of people who are on Twitter and live in and around Preston together in the same room!), so taking a topic e.g. ‘How the web could be used for Preston Guild in 2012′ and asking for people’s contributions ahead of the event (in the format of one slide each) and then we could discuss these at the event, come up with ideas and maybe break off into smaller groups to discuss. The rest of the night would then be free for networking and other discussions, but it gives everyone a starting point of conversation with one another!
So, get involved, would you attend a Preston Tweetup? Know a suitable venue? Want to be more involved? Let me know below…
- 8th, February 2009
Most Read posts
- Snow warning: Preston expected to see some snow during Wednesday and Thursday 294 views
- Lancashire council defers Cuadrilla fracking decision for at least eight weeks amidst huge protests 261 views
- Moor Park to Host to Rockprest Festival in July 2015 258 views
- New: Exciting new wine bar Review coming to Preston Guild Hall 185 views
- Holocaust Memorial Day commemorated at Lancashire County Hall and Lancashire Constabulary Headquarters 124 views
- Preston dog owner fined £220 for failing to clear up dog poo6 comments
- Moor Park to Host to Rockprest Festival in July 20154 comments
- A brief history of Preston’s former public tramways5 comments
- Police close Lane Ends as man hit by car5 comments
- Blog Preston launches mobile and tablet app8 comments